What is ‘The Monday Retrospect’?
This is a weekly collection of things that have caught my attention and imagination over the last week. It is a chance to put into words what I have been doing, thoughts I have been processing, things that are happening. It’s a bit of a mind dump really.
- In the last week I have completed another PhD application. I have applied to Queen’s University Belfast – department of Politics, International Studies and Philosophy. Again, I am staring down the barrel of a long wait to find out if my application has been successful.
- That’s two applications done. Another 3 (maybe 4) to go.
- As I have already mentioned during the week, I was devastated to hear that new peace walls have been approved for construction in (London)Derry, Northern Ireland. This is a disappointing piece of news to hear so long after the supposed end to ‘The Troubles’. I wonder what impact this will have on (London)Derry’s year as UK City of Culture?
I have learned, that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavours to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours” – Henry David Thoreau.
I’m selling a lot of books through my shop on Amazon. They are, excuse the pun, flying off the shelves.
The guys over at TOWARD Ltd. have launched their new website and it’s beautiful, but further than that, they have some awesome content on there including a great video! They offer some amazing services to build resilience through behavioural change to both individuals and organisations. Check ’em out.
- TED is coming to Belfast in the form of TEDx. My friend Mark Dowds is one of the speakers. Mark is the founder of Brainpark, an endurance athlete and general nutter. Originally hailing from Belfast he nows resides in California (I can’t see the attraction myself). He is all about democracy in the workplace and will no doubt share some hilarious/fascinating insights. Follow him on Twitter @markdowds. Buy tickets and massage his ego.
- I am learning tonnes from Tentblogger. (@TentBlogger)
- I am working hard on my 2 research assistantships. I am really enjoying the diversity of the roles. With Professor Stefan Wolff I am working on a project that is exploring ‘Guarantees in Peace Agreements’ and with Dr Luis Cabrera I am helping on a project exploring the idea of a ‘Global Political Community’.
- I am currently reading ‘The Northern Ireland Conflict: Consociational Engagements‘ by Prof. Brendan O’Leary and Prof. John McGarry. This book is a giving great insight and guidance for my MA dissertation and has featured heavily in my PhD proposal.
- I am also rereading ‘Through Painted Deserts‘ by Donald Miller. Great book – highly recommend checking it out.